Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Sunday night routine...

So... A 7:00 work arrival doesn't leave much time to prepare a hearty breakfast... What does one do? Enter: pre-made steel cut oats...

What I do is, prepare these wonderful individual servings of steel cut oatmeal. I buy the organic ones for about a buck a pound at my grocery store.  Simply cook with a 3:1 ratio of water to oats. I add a dash of salt and about a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the water and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
A work-weeks worth of healthy breakfasts for around $2
When the oats are done, I add a handful each of flax seed and sliced blanched almonds and stir together. Top each serving with a dash of cinnamon, a little brown sugar and dried fruit. These are cranberry and golden raisins. Delicious.

They keep fresh and retain flavor as well as texture for about a week in the fridge. I make five every Sunday and am good on breakfast until Friday.

Cost: Around $2 for 5 servings
Time: 40 minutes start to finish
Difficulty: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment